Monday 20 March 2017

Running Gear

After witnessing runners kitted in all sorts of gear at this past Saturday's Om Die Dam Ultra Marathon, I was prompted to write about running gear. This article is just about my personal preference for different gear for different training/races and weather conditions. At Om Die Dam, by 8:00 am the temperatures were already in the mid 20 Celsius degrees, yet I saw runners geared up in long sleeve compression tops and long tights. By 11:00 am temperatures had soared to high 20 degrees Celsius, I saw a runner wearing a drimac under his running vest streaming in after 12:00. I am not one to judge or dictate what people should wear when, the above were just observations. I am also not endorsing any brand but merely sharing what has worked for me thus far. However is important for one to be as comfortable as possible if you’re going to be slogging kilometers and kilometers on the road in adverse weather conditions.

Capestorm A3 -  I a particularly like wearing these shorts when I do my long runs. They have 3 zip-able pockets (two on either side and one at the back). So I find them quite handy when I do my solitary unaided runs over 25 km. I just stash my gels, rehydrat and money for coke and energade. It’s a pity CapeStorm does not make them in maroon (my club colours), this would serve me good for ultras like Om Die Dam, Two Oceans and especially Comrades. They also have breathable inner wear which negates the need to wear under wear.
Cape Storm A3 5 inch shorts
High cut shorts – I remember my first pair of high cuts was when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I remember them being very comfortable and wore them as casual shorts, but then again when you’re 6 all you do is play and run around. I am not sure of the brand or the material that they were made of, the material was very shinny and smooth probably a derivative of silk I guess. I probably owned about 3 pairs at any given time, my favourite colour was blue. In the township we called these shorts "skhindi" or "V-trunk".
My second encounter with high-cut running shorts was when I my parents shipped me off to an all-boys boarding school in Johannesburg. One of the items on my clothing list were Polly Shortts running shorts, by then I had starting following the Comrades Marathon religiously and I could identify with the shorts. I could not understand why this piece of item was mandatory to have. A few days into the school term I would find out why they were mandatory. My hostel master was a seasoned Comrades marathon runner, a green number by then. What that meant was that at least 4 times a week, all the boarders,  after our afternoon sports activities would do a 4 km run before supper and prep. Hence the Polly shorts being a mandatory item.
Varsity years, after my 1st year of indulging in alcohol and artery clogging food I had picked up a lot of weight, 12 kg to be exact. I decided I needed to do some jogging over the December holidays. I had been doing some vacation work as a waiter and had saved up some money to by myself a pair of Nike Pegasus and high-cut Polly Shortts running shorts.


Years went by, when I started running around 2009, running gear had drastically changed. Only elite athletes wore high-cuts and the rest of us wore anything from 3 inch square shorts to long tights and everything in between, I've even seen runners running in basketball shorts. I too, shy’ed away from high-cuts up until early this year. I thought they were reserved for elite athletes with their lean cut quads.When I did eventually pluck up the courage to buy them, the intention was to wear them on my track/speed work out and I did exactly that. I found them very comfortable with minimal material and little hindrance from me pounding asphalt, grass or gravel at high speeds. I have even decided to wear them when I run marathons.

Adidas Supernova High-cut running shorts.


This is me at the Pick n Pay Marathon wearing my Second-skin high-cut running shorts

SingletsI love training and racing in singlets it’s the closest thing to running bare-chested (which I only do on track). In South Africa especially the Highveld the temperatures can get as high as 32 degrees Celsius, so singlets are perfect to wear.



Adidas Singlet

T-shirts – I have a bucket loads of T-shirts accumulated over the years and the range is wide from pure cotton material to the sophisticated quick dry technology. My number one preference is singlets, but as the temperature dips I then pull out my T-shirts.

Tights – I prefer short tights when I am doing speed work or hill repeats, I don’t have to worry about chaffing while doing those quick short strides. I never race in tights purely because finding tights in my club colours (maroon) is a mission. 
The only time I wore tights at a race was at last year’s Two Oceans Marathon. I actually wore them under my maroon running shorts so that they do not overwhelming the club colours. Two weeks before Two Oceans I picked up a hamstring niggle so I decided to nurse it by wearing tights to help with the compression.I also find them good for recovery, after a hard or long run I usually wear tights the following run. 
Long tights a best left for chilly mornings or evenings between May and August. I’ve seen runners wearing long tights and 7 inch running shorts over them in the middle of summer, now that’s a good recipe for hyperthermia.  I quite like the First Ascent long tights because they have multiple pockets to store gels and other goodies. A friend of mine ran Comrades in long tights he started battling with cramps halfway into the race. It became a bit of a mission when he needed to be massaged at the medical tent ...say no more

Under Armour short tights and First Ascent long tights

Two weeks prior to the 2016 Two Oceans I picked up a hamstring niggle. I immediately sought the assistance of compression tights which helped me a lot. This is me going up Constantia Neck confident that my hamstring is well nursed by my 5 inch Nike tights.




























Long sleeve compression tops – again these are better left for the winter months. I generally don’t wear them unless the weather is really cold. They are good insulators of heat and are quick drying. I like the First Ascent brand which is made from bamboo. They are very durable and I sometimes wear them with my casual wear as under garment during the chilly Highveld winters. Both the long tights and long sleeved compression tops are a mandatory items when I travel to Europe or the United States where temperature can drop to -10 degrees Celsius.


First Ascent long sleeve top


Caps – I don’t particularly like caps and seldom wear them, I find they restrict blood flow to my head and I sometimes get dizzy spells especially when I am running at a fast pace. Incidentally elite runners also don't wear running caps, I am not sure why though. However the Comrades Marathon includes in their goody bag a nice breathable cap.

Comrades running caps
Bargain hunting - I am thoroughbred bargain hunter, quality running gear doesn’t come cheap. I generally look out for sales and factory shops were I can get good deals. Race expo also have good deals ON THE LAST DAY, the trick is to not be running around a the expo a day before the raceI sometimes shop online, but this can be a bit tricky if you’re unsure about your size as different brands have different cuts.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, what an interesting share about the workout gear. I am just so impressed with these details and all of these apparels look so nice. Thanks for the share. My mom has also started working out and yesterday was her first day at the gym. She rocked her gym look with the most stylish tank top and the ultracor patterned leggings.

    ReplyDelete